[webkit-help] Testing modifications to Webkit efficiently
Lay Kuan Loh
2016-07-24 20:08:43 UTC
Hi all,

Newcomer to webkit here.

I am trying to modify WebKit <https://webkit.org/> for my own purposes. I
do not plan to ship my modifications to the official codebase.

How would I check that the changes I make to WebKit did not break anything?
For instance, I am making changes to the file
WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp and would like to test them
incrementally.

From reading the documentation <https://webkit.org/building-webkit/> on
using WebKit, it seems that I need to build the entire codebase by running
build-webkit each time I want to test a new change I made. Given that it *takes
about 90 min to run the build* on my laptop, this seems like an inefficient
way of developing webkit.

From reading the documentation <https://webkit.org/building-webkit/> on
using WebKit, it seems that I need to build the entire codebase by running
build-webkit each time I want to test a new change I made. Given that it *takes
about 90 min to run the build* on my laptop, this seems like an inefficient
way of developing webkit.

Am I missing something obvious, on how to speed up testing my changes to
WebKit? I've googled around but for some reason can't find any clear
instructions on doing this.

I've also posted the same question to stack overflow here
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38555968/testing-changes-i-make-to-webkit-efficiently>
.

Thanks!
Konstantin Tokarev
2016-07-24 20:39:41 UTC
Post by Lay Kuan Loh
Hi all,
Newcomer to webkit here.
You're welcome :)
Post by Lay Kuan Loh
I am trying to modify WebKit for my own purposes. I do not plan to ship my modifications to the official codebase.
If you accidentally make (whatever small) improvements which can be useful for other WebKit users, please consider upstreaming them. Every little piece counts.
Post by Lay Kuan Loh
How would I check that the changes I make to WebKit did not break anything? For instance, I am making changes to the file WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp and would like to test them incrementally.
You need to run Layout Tests. Read articles from https://trac.webkit.org/wiki#LayoutTests

You don't need to run all tests at once, run-webkit-tests allows you to specify directory or individual test files.
Post by Lay Kuan Loh
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to build the entire codebase by running build-webkit each time I want to test a new change I made. Given that it takes about 90 min to run the build on my laptop, this seems like an inefficient way of developing webkit.
Incremental rebuilds usually take much less time.
Post by Lay Kuan Loh
I am trying to modify WebKit for my own purposes. I do not plan to ship my modifications to the official codebase.
How would I check that the changes I make to WebKit did not break anything? For instance, I am making changes to the file WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp and would like to test them incrementally.
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to build the entire codebase by running build-webkit each time I want to test a new change I made. Given that it takes about 90 min to run the build on my laptop, this seems like an inefficient way of developing webkit.
Am I missing something obvious, on how to speed up testing my changes to WebKit? I've googled around but for some reason can't find any clear instructions on doing this.
I've also posted the same question to stack overflow here.
Thanks!
,
Regards,
Konstantin
Gyuyoung Kim
2016-07-25 03:09:49 UTC
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to
Post by Konstantin Tokarev
Incremental rebuilds usually take much less time.
If you're using WebKit GTK port, there are some tips to speed up build time.

- https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKitGTK/SpeedUpBuild

gyuyoung.
Post by Konstantin Tokarev
Hi all,
Newcomer to webkit here.
You're welcome :)
I am trying to modify WebKit for my own purposes. I do not plan to ship
my modifications to the official codebase.
If you accidentally make (whatever small) improvements which can be useful
for other WebKit users, please consider upstreaming them. Every little
piece counts.
How would I check that the changes I make to WebKit did not break
anything? For instance, I am making changes to the
file WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp and would like to test them
incrementally.
You need to run Layout Tests. Read articles from
https://trac.webkit.org/wiki#LayoutTests
You don't need to run all tests at once, run-webkit-tests allows you to
specify directory or individual test files.
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to
build the entire codebase by running build-webkit each time I want to test
a new change I made. Given that it takes about 90 min to run the build on
my laptop, this seems like an inefficient way of developing webkit.
Incremental rebuilds usually take much less time.
I am trying to modify WebKit for my own purposes. I do not plan to ship
my modifications to the official codebase.
How would I check that the changes I make to WebKit did not break
anything? For instance, I am making changes to the
file WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp and would like to test them
incrementally.
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to
Lay Kuan Loh
2016-07-25 03:50:28 UTC
Thank you Konstantin and Gyuyoung. That helped me debug more quickly.
Post by Gyuyoung Kim
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to
Post by Konstantin Tokarev
Incremental rebuilds usually take much less time.
If you're using WebKit GTK port, there are some tips to speed up build time.
- https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKitGTK/SpeedUpBuild
gyuyoung.
Post by Konstantin Tokarev
Hi all,
Newcomer to webkit here.
You're welcome :)
I am trying to modify WebKit for my own purposes. I do not plan to ship
my modifications to the official codebase.
If you accidentally make (whatever small) improvements which can be
useful for other WebKit users, please consider upstreaming them. Every
little piece counts.
How would I check that the changes I make to WebKit did not break
anything? For instance, I am making changes to the
file WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp and would like to test them
incrementally.
You need to run Layout Tests. Read articles from
https://trac.webkit.org/wiki#LayoutTests
You don't need to run all tests at once, run-webkit-tests allows you to
specify directory or individual test files.
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to
build the entire codebase by running build-webkit each time I want to test
a new change I made. Given that it takes about 90 min to run the build on
my laptop, this seems like an inefficient way of developing webkit.
Incremental rebuilds usually take much less time.
I am trying to modify WebKit for my own purposes. I do not plan to ship
my modifications to the official codebase.
How would I check that the changes I make to WebKit did not break
anything? For instance, I am making changes to the
file WebKit/Source/WebCore/dom/Element.cpp and would like to test them
incrementally.
From reading the documentation on using WebKit, it seems that I need to